Many studies have proven that the cacao in chocolate has health benefits. Findings have resulted to the fact that food containing cacao can be actually good for the health since it contains more than 300 chemicals, where health benefits derive from. This is in contradiction to the old myth that anything that tastes good can be bad. It used to be that old folks warn their children against eating too much chocolate or other folks being very cautious believing that eating this food can be causative factor of certain illnesses.
But research conducted demonstrated that there is quite a large amount of antioxidants, found in chocolate and cacao, and is relatively higher than other high-antioxidant foods. Research suggests:
- Cocoa powder is found to contain the highest quantity and quality anti-oxidants.
- Dark chocolate is found second to cocoa powder. Results also showed that dark chocolate has eight more times of the polyphenol antioxidants than those found in strawberries.
- Milk chocolate is the third kind of chocolate food that contains high antioxidant contents.
- Research conducted in 2001, participants who included in their diet dark chocolate and high flavonoid-rich cocoa powder were found to have higher HDL cholesterol, also called the good cholesterol, concentrations as opposed to other control participants.
- Another study showed that dark chocolate can actually lower the blood pressure in individuals suffering with hypertension. It produced the comparable result as with the other research, wherein LDL cholesterol levels, or the bad cholesterol, were found to drop by at least 10 percent.
In these few research studies, and many others, it has been shown that cacao contains chemicals that are beneficial for the body. Many recent studies contradict the old myth and half-truths established long ago how it can never be good part of anyone’s diet. However, it’s important to remember that there are chocolate foods that can be good to your health while there are others that can be bad, especially those that are highly-processed and poorly made. Some of those are chocolate candies and bars, which you often find in stores and are high in calories, sugar, and fat. Wow Brand granolas contain high-quality cacao ingredients that are combined with whole foods that can provide a healthy alternative to the sugary snacks and granolas in the marketplace.